Sunday, August 19, 2012

Bite-size Cheese Crackers

I won't use the brand name, but you know what I am talking about.  The square cheese crackers that are easy to eat one-by-one, by the handful -- or by the boxful.

When I was working at the call-center for a major pharmacy chain, my coworkers and I were addicted to 'em :)

This is a homemade version of those yummy crackers -- certainly not any lower in calories, but no preservatives.

I got this recipe from cooking ala mel -- mine didn't turn out as bubbly looking as hers, so I am thinking she used self-rising flour, whereas I used all purpose.  I also didn't go the "healthier" route she did -- she used white whole wheat flour, but I just used regular all-purpose flour.  They taste awesome, even if they aren't bubbly -- I'll try self-rising flour the next time (or add baking soda & extra salt to the all-purpose).

In reading her comments, she said that you don't need to shred the cheese if using a food processor -- but I did anyway.  The second batch I used ¾ cup cheddar and ¾ cup pepper jack cheese -- I liked those best.  They didn't turn out too spicy -- just a bit of a "kick".  I will definitely try this recipe with different kinds of cheese.

Cheddar/Pepper Jack Crackers

BITE-SIZE CHEESE CRACKERS


1 ½ cups cheddar (about 6 oz.)
4 tablespoons butter (cold, not melted)
¾ cup flour
¼ teaspoon salt
sea salt, for sprinkling

Preheat oven to 350.

In a food processor, pulse all of the ingredients together until it forms a ball (about 2 minutes). You could do this by hand, using a pastry cutter or two forks.


Place the ball between two pieces of wax paper, and roll it out to about 1/8" thick.

Using a pastry wheel or small cookie cutters, cut into shapes. 



Place on a parchment lined baking sheet about 1/2" apart from each other

Poke each cracker with a fork or skewer so that they don't puff too much. Sprinkle with sea salt, if desired.

Bake for 8-12 minutes (depending on the size/shape of your crackers), until lightly browned on the edges.



Cool on the baking sheet, and store in an airtight container (if they last that long).



No comments:

Post a Comment